Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bangkok

So, the first country is over and done with (although we're going back again). We're currently sat downstairs in our hotel in Hanoi, having arrived from Bangkok earlier today. (More in the next post - but I think Rach has already talked about it if you want to cheat and look ahead)

Having never been to the far-east, I wasn't sure what to expect with Bangkok. We arrived and passed through the new airport with no problems, although the taxi ride to the hotel took 1.5 hours. Good thing it was on the meter, it only cost about 4 pounds! Our hotel was not what we were expecting, as it ended up being a 4* international thing, and our room was about the size of our old flat. A nice, if pampered start to say the least.

Bangkok - how to explain. Well first of all the pervasive smell is one of Fish Sauce. Everything seems to smell of it! It's a strange and crazy city. In some ways it's the most consumer orientated place I've been, with TV screen adverts screaming at you from all angles as you wait for a metro train and shopping centres that are like nothing I've seen - The MBK shopping centre has to be seen to be believed - you can seemingly buy anything electronic - including Sony iPods (hey, I didn't say it was real!) and watch live Premiership footie whilst you're at it. (Bolton Vs Liverpool 2-0)

But then BKK is a really 'old world' place as well. The Wats (temples) are incredible (see photos below) and it's strange to see all the Monks wandering around with the trendy teenagers and business men. And they Love their King (Love with lots of hearts around it) Everywhere says so - down to the airbridges at the airport.

Anyways - I'm waffling, so I'll leave you with some stats.

Number of Tanks seen - 1 (disappointing)
Number of Tuk-Tuk rides - 2
Number of cool Thunderstorms - about 1 an hour in the evening


Wat Pho - Rach's face in agony after Thai Massage not shown


The Reclining Budda - 46 meters long. Really Dirty feet not shown



The Infamous Khao San Road - If you want a knock off - it'll be here somewhere

2 Comments:

At 8:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should try some Thai food - really spicy .........Oh, have you checked their signal timings......Yuelin

 
At 10:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, wow you even get spammed on blogs? Crazy!!
Sounds like it's fun man, but I think you'd have had to try harder to not have fun than to have it. I'm sure over time you will further persuade me (as if I needed that) that this is something I should do. And then I will...it's that or buy a house....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

I'll update you on the madness that is my life at some point.
Christopher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home